In this article we will present you what can you do to treat sinus infection.Sinus infection can be treated with medical therapies, natural remedies or with herbs.
If you have chronic sinus infections, you aren’t alone. An estimated 30.8 million Americans have chronic sinus problems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Fortunately, if you feel like you’ve tried everything, there are several solutions that can treat chronic sinusitis permanently.
Determine the underlying cause
Doctors will try to treat sinusitis with conservative measures whenever possible. This means they must first determine the underlying cause of your chronic sinus infections.
- inflammatory disorders
- a combination of the above causes
To diagnose your condition, a doctor will:
- listen to your symptoms
- conduct testing, including using a special tool to look up your nose and into your sinus passages
- collect imaging
- potentially perform other tests to determine a cause
Medical therapies for chronic sinus infections
Once a doctor has diagnosed what’s causing your chronic sinus infections, their goal will be to:
- treat the underlying cause (or causes)
- reduce inflammation that keeps your sinus passages from draining
They usually accomplish this by:
- thinning nasal secretions
- prescribing corticosteroids
Ideally, doctors can prescribe medical therapies that clear up chronic sinusitis symptoms and keep them from coming back.
Depending on the underlying cause, medical therapies may include:
Intranasal corticosteroids reduce inflammation in the nasal passages. Examples include fluticasone (Flonase) and mometasone (Nasonex).
They reduce swelling so mucus can exit the nose more easily and breathing is enhanced.
Oral corticosteroids are pill medications that work like intranasal steroids. They also have whole-body effects.
Your doctor will usually prescribe short-term oral corticosteroids for chronic infections that don’t respond to antibiotics because oral steroids have more side effects than nasal ones.
These medications work to unblock the sinuses and reduce nasal congestion symptoms. They’re sold as either nasal sprays or oral medications. Examples include nasal Afrin or Sudafed.
However, you shouldn’t use nasal decongestant sprays for more than a few days. They can have a reverse effect if you use them for too long.
Saline irrigation is a simple method. It’s a low-cost way to thin nasal secretions. Thinner secretions exit the nasal passages more easily, reducing chronic sinusitis symptoms.
Your doctor will perform a special test to obtain cells from inside your nasal passages. This is more than just a nasal swab.
Your doctor will likely send this sample to a laboratory to determine the type of pathogen that has infiltrated your nasal passages. They can then prescribe the right antibiotics to treat your symptoms.
Some people with chronic sinusitis have the condition as a result of immunodeficiency-related conditions. Examples include IgA deficiency and C4 deficiency.
Treatment may include prescribing immunotherapy treatments like intravenous immunoglobulins to enhance the body’s ability to fight infection and inflammation.
According to an article in the journal American Family Physician, most doctors think chronic sinusitis is an inflammatory condition.
That’s why they often prescribe anti-inflammatory medications, such as corticosteroids.
Natural remedies for chronic sinus infections
Natural remedies for sinus infections may not fully cure your symptoms, but they can work to reduce them. Examples of these approaches include:
- Drinking plenty of fluids. Fluids help to thin out mucus, which makes it easier to pass through your sinus passages.
- You know you’re drinking enough when your urine is pale yellow.
- Applying warm compresses. Create a warm compress using a soft washcloth and warm (not hot) water. These compresses help to open your sinus passages and soothe swollen facial tissues to make breathing easier.
- Using a neti pot. A neti pot is an alternative to saline nose sprays. You can buy these at most drugstores and online here.They look like a small tea pot with an elongated spout. You fill the pot with sterile water, insert it into one nostril, and pour in the water so it comes out the other nostril.
- In addition to these measures, it’s important to get plenty of rest. Getting enough sleep at night enables your body time to heal and maintain a healthy immune system.
Herbs for Sinus Infection
Why Should We Use?
Astragalus is used to treat a wide variety of allergies, colds, cardiovascular diseases, and other conditions. It has been used in Chinese medicine for centuries . It strengthens the immune system and protects the body against bacteria and germs, which causes cold and fever.
Astragalus boosts the immune system, and it is suitable for people who get infections. It is a tonic which fights viruses. Anti-inflammatory effects are believed to prolong life and appear to be very safe id consumed appropriately. Astragalus root belongs to a group of a plant from the legume family.
How to Use?
Astragalus can be found in many different forms such as capsules, liquid, powder, which can be brewed into teas. One can even boil the Astragalus to activate its compounds into the water.You can purchase dried astragalus root slices here.
There is no exact dosage, but it is recommended to consume 2 – 20 grams depending on how a body reacts and shows effects to an individual. High dosage can have side effects. It should be avoided if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or consuming particular drugs which aren’t high in power.
How Much to Use?
It can also be consumed twice a day if it’s taken in 2- 6 grams or less.
Do’s and Don’ts
Astragalus has considered safe it is a herbal cure for sinus infection, but for some, it might react differently. Most commonly noted side effects are diarrhea and other gastrointestinal effects. It can be risky for people with different health conditions such as diabetic patient, high blood pressure, or a person suffering from hypertension.
If it is reacted with other medications, it can behave oddly and might give inaccurate results. A cancer patient medication shouldn’t be mixed with this root. It is considered harmful if consumed with dietary supplements. It is essential to take precautions before entirely consuming it.
Why Should We Use?
Garlic is a beneficial herb which is consumed by everyone nowadays. Simple home remedies that will make you save money and time on treating a sinus infection. Garlic is an excellent source of manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, copper, selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B1, and calcium.
In WHFoods rating system, the sulfur compounds are responsible for overall health benefits that are found in Garlic. Many cultures around the world, a common home remedy for cold is Garlic. Its used as an ingredient in chicken soup or a raw crushed garlic drink is served.
How to Use?
If you can’t eat Garlic directly having it with food or soups or with other herbal combination can be best suited and viable way to consume it. Garlic with apple cider vinegar can be used as steam. Add 2 cups of water into one teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar, then boil it and remove the flame.
Now, crush four garlic cloves and add it to that water and finally, inhale this vapor and steam. Best way to use this herb for the sinus infection is if eaten raw for that chew properly and swallow it entirely. Only Garlic as an inhaler is a direct way to get rid of block nose and to get rid of mucous.
Put the raw garlic cloves in water. Let it soak for about 10 minutes. After that, you remove and crush them to make a fine garlic paste. Next, take this paste and keep it close to your nose and start inhaling deeply. You have to inhale deeply to get the garlic odor into your nose and thereby to reduce the infection. You should continue doing this method regularly to treat a sinus infection completely.
How Much to Use?
This depends on which way you want to use garlic as a cure, which is mentioned above.
But the best way to use this herb for the sinus infection is if eaten raw (4-6 cloves) for that chew properly and swallow it entirely
Dos and Don’ts
Indeed, Garlic is a herbal supplement which can be used for curing many diseases, but each has its effects and side effects. Before consuming it, the following factors should be considered.
- Increased risk of bleeding can happen as a side effect of garlic consumption. So, it is generally advised to consult your doctor while taking.
- Avoid taking if you have stomach problems
- It is safe to take Garlic in food amounts. However, it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking Garlic supplements during breastfeeding.
- Garlic can bring down the blood sugar level. So, it is generally advised to monitor your blood sugar while taking Garlic with other anti-diabetic drugs.
- Also, Garlic has the ability to bring down the blood pressure level. So, it is generally advised to monitor your blood pressure while taking
- It is safe to take Garlic in food amounts. However, it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking Garlic supplements during pregnancy.
- When you are diagnosed with a sinus infection, it is recommended to use herbal remedies to get quick relief. If consumed daily in proper proportional, these are the best herbs for sinus infection to avoid this problem in the first place.
Herbs for sinus infection offers simple, easy, and inexpensive home remedies which can be used to help as secondary treatment if you are already undertaking professional help.
There are several other methods too, but we should never underestimate the magical healing by our nature. The above-mentioned remedies can cure sinus infection effectively in a short span. A healthy balanced diet is vital to healing the disease naturally.
How to prevent sinus infections
Taking steps to keep your nasal passages draining well can help you avoid sinus infections. Examples of healthy habits to practice include:
- Wash your hands regularly, especially after coming in contact with others who have colds or other illnesses.
- Take medications to control your seasonal allergies. Examples include over-the-counter allergy medications, such as loratadine (Claritin) or cetirizine (Zyrtec).
- Refrain from smoking and avoiding secondhand smoke whenever possible.
- Perform nasal irrigation once daily if you’re prone to chronic sinus infections.
- Avoid exposure to dry air. You may inhale steam (such as in a shower) or use humidifiers to keep your air moist. This prevents your nasal passages from drying out.
- You can also ask your doctor for additional prevention recommendations that target the cause (or causes) of your sinus infection.
Conclusion: Sinus infection is something that you must take seriously.These natural remedies and herbs can help you to treat sinusitis but you should consult with your doctor if the condition is not getting better.