HOW TO MAKE LETTUCE WRAPS:
To make these Asian chicken lettuce wraps, first marinate the chicken in soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.
While I have those ingredients out, I go ahead and make the sauce for the lettuce wraps too, since you’ll use those, along with sugar, hoisin sauce, and cornstarch.
WHAT IS THE BEST LETTUCE TO USE FOR LETTUCE WRAPS?
You can use any type of green leafy lettuce for lettuce wraps, but popular types of lettuce include Boston bib lettuce and romaine hearts.
The great thing about lettuce wraps is that they are easily modifiable when it comes to filling and wrapping. Cabbage leaves would also be a yummy substitute.
SAUCE FOR LETTUCE WRAPS:
These lettuce wraps have a simple sauce that is the key element that makes them so good. The ingredients for the sauce are soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch, for thickening.
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce, or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Sriracha hot sauce, for topping
For the marinade:
- 1 pound ground chicken, or turkey
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Sauce:
- 5 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the Marinade:
Place marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside.
For the sauce:
Combine all of the sauce ingredients and mix until smooth.
Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the chicken mixture and stir fry 2-3 minutes.
Push the chicken to the side of the pan and add the bell pepper, ginger, green onions, and water chestnuts. Stir fry 1-2 minutes.
Add the sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, until thickened.
Serve in lettuce cups, topped with sriracha hot sauce, if desired.