But before you totally dismiss this recipe because you don’t have an instant pot, let me tell you that you can make this taco chili without one! And below I’ve included the instructions for the different methods so you can see just how easy this chili is to make in whatever appliance/pot you choose to use.
- Stovetop: To make this taco chili on the stovetop: brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off any grease. Add in all of the other ingredients. Stir and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Crockpot: To make this taco chili in the slow cooker, brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off any grease and place the meat mixture in the crockpot. Add all the other ingredients. Stir it all together and cover. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Instant Pot: To make this taco chili in the instant pot, you can actually saute the beef and onion first using the “saute” function. Once it’s browned through, you add all of the other ingredients and then cook it for 10 minutes. You’ll let out the pressure naturally for five minutes and then release it all and the soup is ready. Nothing beats a 15 minute cook time! Using the instant pot, this soup can absolutely be ready in 30 minutes or less.
Instant Pot or Crockpot BEST EVER Taco Chili
Prep Time 15mins *** Cook Time 6 hrs *** Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
- 1 pound ground beef, extra lean
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Optional: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix, dry
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces EACH) chili beans (kidney beans in chili sauce), undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) southwestern corn (poblano and red pepper is mixed in), undrained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted (with seasoning) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Ro*Tel), undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) fire-roasted diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Toppings: sour cream, freshly shredded cheddar cheese, avocado, lime, tortilla strips (I find them by salad dressings)
INSTANT POT: Heat the instant pot on the saute setting. Add in the ground beef and onion.
Brown in the instant pot and then turn off. Add in all of the other ingredients except for the toppings: the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, cumin, paprika, (red pepper flakes if desired), ranch seasoning mix, minced garlic, undrained chili beans, undrained corn, undrained tomatoes, undrained green chiles, and drained + rinsed black beans. Add salt and pepper to taste (I like about 1/2 teaspoon of each)
Give everything a really good stir and then place it on the lid. Select soup and change to 10 minutes.
Allow to cook for 10 minutes and then let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
Then release any remaining pressure. Give it another good stir and taste for additional salt/pepper.
When it’s finished top individual bowls with a generous handful of cheddar cheese, a big scoop of sour cream and mix that in.
Add fresh lime, fresh cilantro or green onions, and/or avocado to individual bowls as desired. Add a handful of tortilla strips if desired.
CROCKPOT: Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain off any grease and place in the crockpot. Add all the other ingredients.
Stir it all together and cover. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
STOVETOP: Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium heat until browned.
Drain off any grease. Add in all of the other ingredients. Stir and allow to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.