Raw Onion Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 45 minutes
1 ½ cups Almonds (soaked and dehydrated)
1 2/3 cups Onion (chopped)
1 clove Garlic
¼ cup Sun-dried tomatoes (Soaked in Olive Oil for at least 20 minutes)
1/3 cup Shredded Carrots
¼ cup Goji Berries
¼ cup Water
¼ cup Flax Meal (ground flax seed)
¼ cup Almond Meal
½ cup Psyllium Husk
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Light Miso*
½ tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
*Not raw but a very healthy cultured food. For a fully raw recipe, you can replace with a bit more salt – don’t add a full tsp of salt though that would probably be too much.
1.Blitz almonds in food processor until they reach a small kernel size, just before it becomes a meal. Make sure you don’t over process them, as the almonds provide texture.
2. Remove almonds from food processor and place in a separate bowl.
3. Blitz onions, garlic, carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, goji berries, water, miso, and seasonings until everything is well combined and broken down.
4. Add in the almonds, flax and almond meal, psyllium husks and nutritional yeast and blitz until everything is well combined. At this point, it should be sticky and doughy and you should be able to form it into a loaf easily with your hands.
5. Remove the dough and form it into a bread loaf. Cut shallow scores on top of the loaf the size the bread slices that you want in the end.
6. Brush the top with some olive oil and then sprinkle on dried onion flakes or nutritional yeast or whatever else you want!
7. Dehydrate on mesh sheet at 145 F for 1-2 hours. This is to create the crust. Don’t forget to set an alarm as you will kill lots of nutrients and enzymes if you leave it in at 145 F for longer than 2 hours. NouveauRaw has a nice explanation of the way the dehydrator works on her site, as well as why it’s cool to use it at temperatures above 115 F.
8 Dehydrate on a mesh sheet for 8-10 hours at 115 F. Take out and cut into slices.
9. Dehydrate slices on a mesh sheet for another 8-10 hours, flipping once.
10. Eat with dips, pates, jerkies, cheeses, tomato bruschetta, or whatever. Or just plain! It’s so good it doesn’t need anything!
11. Yields 1 Loaf that makes around 10 thick slices.