We’re calling this a Chickpea Flatbread, but the consistency and shape is a lot like a crepe.
Unlike a traditional crepe, though, this one’s made with nutrient-dense chickpea flour and is totally gluten-free.
It’s super easy to make and is delicious topped with vegetables and za’atar an incredibly flavorful Middle Eastern spice mix.
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup (8 ounces) water
1 1/2 tablespoons (plus more for pan) olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon za’atar
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, roasted
1 cup broccoli rabe, roasted
1/2 cup red onion, roasted
1. Whisk together the chickpea flour, water, olive oil, and salt in a small bowl. Let rest for 1/2 hour to 2 hours in the refrigerator to give the flour time to absorb the water.
2. Heat the oven to 450°F and preheat a 10-inch pan for 5 minutes.
3. Drizzle a teaspoon or so of olive oil into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom.
4. Whisk the chickpea batter quickly and then pour about a third into the hot skillet. (Half of the batter for a thicker crepe)
5. Bake the flatbread for 8-10 minutes, until it’s cooked through. (Optional): Heat under the broiler to blister the top.
6. Move the flatbread to a plate, top with warm veggies and za’atar, and serve.