A delicious, spicy blend, packed full of iron and low fat to boot. It’s ready in under half an hour or can be made in a slow cooker
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots
, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml milk
- plain yogurt and naan bread, to serve
1. Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chili flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
2. Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g coarsely grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
4. Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
5. Season to taste and finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan bread.